We all know that food waste is a huge environmental issue. You may not want to have last night’s dinner again, but it’s also a great time and money saver to re-purpose your leftovers. All you need are a few recipes that can help you convert them in creative ways.
Here are 5 recipes to help you turn leftovers into tasty dinners:
- Curry. With only coconut milk, curry powder and cashews you can create a delicious and simple vegetarian curry using whatever leftover vegetables are lingering in your fridge. Add pre-cooked vegetables at the last minute. Or try this quick chicken curry using leftover chicken.
- Enchiladas. Stuff anything into a tortilla (chicken, beans, casserole, roasted vegetables), and cover it in a delectable enchilada sauce and melted cheese. No one will know you used any leftovers.
- Pasta bake. Yesterday’s pasta gets coated in cheese and baked until bubbly to change it up. Some inspiration can be found here for a Spaghetti pie or a Tortellini Bake.
- Fried Rice. Throw leftover rice, veggies and any bits of ham, or chicken into a wok and toss those leftovers into a simple fried rice. Make sure to add some green onion and ginger to give it some colour and bite.
- Savoury strudel or pie. Phyllo pastry ups the leftover game considerably. Make a savoury strudel with leftover squash and herbs, or roasted vegetables with boursin cheese. Or, top leftover stew with a layered pastry crust for a delicious and decadent meal that will make your forget yesterday’s dinner. Find ideas for turning stews into pies here.
For more leftovers-turned-new inspiration, read Part 1 of Loving your leftovers for other easy, fast and tasty recipes.