This year the PNE Fair in Vancouver takes place from Saturday, August 17 to Monday, September 2 (closed Mondays, except Labour Day). It just wouldn’t be summer without mini donuts, great concerts and thrill-inducing rides!
While The Fair is a great time for all ages, buying an entry ticket, food and souvenirs can add up. Here are some tips to save money while having fun.
- Take transit: The Fair draws nearly a million people, so it’s safe to say that finding parking can be time-consuming. Skip circling the neighbourhood for a spot and take environmentally-friendly public transit. The grounds are easily accessible by transit with a number of buses stopping along Hastings Street and Renfrew Street, including the #16 PNE Special from 29th Avenue Station and the #210 PNE Special from Phibbs exchange in North Vancouver. Check out the Translink website to plan your route. Show your Compass Card and other Compass fare products at the PNE Fair Gate on Fridays, August 23 and 30 to receive a 2-for-1 admission for adults (14-64 years of age) and seniors (65+ years of age).
- Ride your bike: The PNE offers a bike valet service located inside the Red Gate at the corner of Hastings and Renfrew. It’s completely free of charge and secure. Bike racks, without valet service, are also available outside the Red and Purple Gates.
- Vancity member perk: Perk alert! Vancity members pay only $8 gate admission on Saturdays, Sundays and Labour Day Monday from 11 am to 1 pm – that’s a $10 discount! To claim your discounted entry, simply present your Vancity MEMBER CARD® debit card or enviro™ Visa card at the PNE gate before 1 pm. Check out other Vancity member perks.
- Buy your passes online: Standing in line to buy a Fair Gate Pass and Ride Pass can be tough. While the line may move quickly, listening to people having fun while you stand and wait isn’t ideal. By buying your tickets online, you can save $2 on a regular Fair Gate Pass and make the wait shorter.
- Free Gate Admission Tuesdays: Cheap Tuesdays at the PNE! All PNE guests receive free gate admission on Tuesday, August 20 and 27 from 11 am to 1 pm.
- Other promo days: For more information about other promotional days, like Hero’s Opening Weekend, Library Day, Seniors’ Day and Out at the Fair Day, visit the PNE Promotional Days page. Also, keep in mind that the PNE is closed on Monday, August 19 and 26.
- Bring a water bottle: There are accessible water stations on the fairgrounds, which are located in Festival Park, ToonCity, in front of the Livestock Barns and in Playland. There are also water fountains in the Pacific Coliseum and the Marketplace. By bringing a bottle from home, you can save money and limit the amount of plastic that ends up in the garbage.
- Check out some free entertainment: You can watch a number of free shows, concerts and exhibits while on the fairgrounds. The SuperDogs, Knights of Valour and ToonCity are just a couple of examples, while the Dueling Pianos and Summer Night Concerts are also worth a listen.