This year The Fair at the PNE in Vancouver takes place from Saturday, August 18 to Monday, September 3. It just wouldn’t be summer without mini donuts, great concerts and thrill-inducing rides!
While The Fair is a great time for all ages, buying an entry ticket, food and souvenirs can add up. Here are some tips to save money while having fun.
- Take transit: The Fair draws nearly a million people, so it’s safe to say that finding parking can be time-consuming. Skip circling the neighbourhood for a spot and take environmentally-friendly public transit. The grounds are easily accessible by transit with a number of buses stopping along Hastings Street and Renfrew Street, including the #16 PNE Special from 29th Avenue Station and the #210 PNE Special from Phibbs exchange in North Vancouver. Check out the Translink website to find your route.
- Ride your bike: Not feeling the transit vibe? The PNE offers a bike valet located at Gate 1 at the corner of Hastings and Renfrew. It’s completely free of charge and secure. Bike racks are also available outside Gates 5 and 13.
- Vancity member perk: Perk alert! Vancity members pay only $8 gate admission every day from 11 am to 1 pm – that’s a $10 discount! To claim your discounted entry, simply present your Vancity MEMBER CARD® debit card or enviro™ Visa card at the PNE gate before 1 pm. Check out other Vancity member perks.
- Buy your passes online: Standing in line to buy a Fair Gate Pass and Ride Pass can be tough. While the line may move quickly, listening to people having fun while you stand and wait isn’t ideal. By buying your tickets online, you can save up to $9 on passes and make the wait shorter.
- Free Gate Admission Tuesdays: Cheap Tuesdays at the PNE! All PNE guests receive free gate admission on Tuesday, August 21 and 28 from 11 am to 1 pm.
- Toonie Days: To celebrate 50 years of music and sport at the Pacific Coliseum, there’s a special promo. On opening weekend, August 18 to 19 from 11 am to 1 pm, wear your favourite sports team gear or concert t-shirt and get in for just $2.
- Other promo days: For more information about other promotional days, like Hero’s Opening Weekend, Library Day, Seniors’ Day and Out at the Fair Day, visit the PNE Promotional Days page. Also, keep in mind that the PNE is closed on Monday, August 20 and 27.
- Bring a water bottle: There are 7 accessible water stations on the fairgrounds, which are located in Festival Park, ToonCity, in front of the Livestock Barns and 4 stations in Playland. There are also water fountains in the Pacific Coliseum and the Marketplace. By bringing a bottle from home you can save money and limit the amount of plastic that ends up in the garbage.
- Buy a Pinwheels Deals Coupon Book: For only $2, you can get a Pinwheels Deals Coupon Book that offers up to $350 in savings at The Fair. Hundreds of discounts are offered inside for PNE shoppers, including 2 for 1 deals on food and with merchandise vendors. It’s available at any Guest Services location.
- Check out some free entertainment: You can watch a number of free shows, concerts and exhibits while on the fairgrounds. The SuperDogs show, which happens 3 times a day, and ToonCity are just a couple of examples, while the Dueling Pianos and Summer Night Concerts are also worth a listen.