Also referred to as summer squash, zucchini is a filling, cheap and abundant option especially when in season. No wonder there is a National ‘Sneak Some Zucchini onto Your Neighbor’s Porch’ Day on August 8th. If you are tired of stir-fried zucchini, here are some other recipes that literally transform this humble vegetable.
1. Pancakes. If you want a simple meal in a hurry, this one’s for you. These pakora-like pancakes are gluten-free and vegan. A little chickpea flour is all that is needed to bind grated zucchini and fry it up for a quick lunch or dinner.
2. Soup. This soup is so easy and delicious. Simple ingredients like potatoes, spinach and zucchini get new life in this soup. If you have a high-powered blender (like a Vitamix), you can make this quickly and actually cook it in a blender with pre-cooked potatoes and vegetables.
3. Pickle it. For serious pickle and relish aficionados, try this zucchini relish. Quite simply, it is the tastiest topping for sandwiches and burgers and the reason I started growing my own zucchini. Preserve your canned goods in a boiling water bath and store for those winter months. Or save the time and effort and make a half batch. Keep it in the fridge to eat over the next few weeks.
4. Loaf. This cocoa and chocolate number completely and deliciously disguises zucchini that needs to be used up.
5. Cookies. No loaf pan, no problem. Make a zucchini cookie instead. Store them in the freezer (if they last more than a day in your house).
Make way for the best squash of summer.