You can often find me in the centre aisles or in the bulk section of a grocery store, looking for the cheapest source of protein: dried lentils. They are easy to cook, a sustainable protein source and often grown in Canada. This grocery item is definitely a hidden pantry gem for saving money, but not everyone knows what to do with them.
Here are a few ways to incorporate lentils into your week:
- Sauce them up for pasta. Whether you buy a simple tomato sauce or make your own, canned or dried lentils can be added to pasta for a pop of protein. Or try this recipe with dried lentils.
- Sprout them. An easy way to get some freshness into your meals is with homegrown lentil sprouts. Convert your windowsills into mini mason jar farms. Add to salads or just eat with olive oil and lemon juice.
- Soup them up. This simple 15 minute soup is a great way to use leftovers in the fridge like a bag of spinach, bits of ham, bacon or extra roasted vegetables. Anything goes.
- Spice them for tacos. This spicy recipe is fantastic for tacos or burritos. This mixture also freezes well for last-minute meals.
- Spike your salad. Whether added to a warm salad or a cold version, lentils are a delicious and filling addition to a veg-based meal.